Re: [at-l] Trail Running

>Exsqueeze me if this has already been covered, but does anybody know what
>the environmental impact is of trail running?  My hunch is that it would
>harm the trail atleast slightly more than just plain ol' hikin', but is does
>it add significant impact?
>
>:)
>A Curious Pooh

Not to fan any flames but I would think running would have less impact.  No
heavy boots, longer stride when possible = fewer actual steps for distance
covered, more miles per day so fewer campsites (if any - don't most of the
speed runners plan to sleep in motels or their support van or whatever??).
Just for the record I'm in the "savor the moments" school of hiking and while
I'm not a big fan of the concept of speed records on the AT (in fact I drew
some flames myself on my first few postings to this list a few years ago on
this topic), I also support the hike your own hike philosophy.

Have fun out there...

Sharon

Sharon Sharpe
Head Athletic Trainer