[at-l] Dogs, AT or elsewhere

Regarding the recent posting on dogs on the AT...

I used to have trouble with dogs when I delivered newspapers as a teenager.
I have had trouble with dogs when on the AT, mostly when road walking.

Nowadays....dogs have trouble with me...

Some dogs don't bark, they just attack.

On the AT, you are substantially more likely to be assaulted by dogs than
by bears or any form of human life.

I don't fool with walking sticks on most hiking trails, but when I come
down to a rural road walk, I've often selected a hefty stick for one
reason....

If/when a dog approaches, maintain eye contact with the beast and use a
limited amount of judgement and discretion.  If the beast attacks, then
take him right out.  Thwakk!!  No apologies needed.

The abovementioned assumes you are on the AT or other public way.
--The Wizard