[at-l] LNT and Scouts

Hello Green Ghost (and All) -

Your "LNT review" was a great message...lotsa stuff to think about!

Don't give up on ATC yet - stay inside and MAKE them do right <VBG>.

You might want to take a hard look at another "AT" group that has been
doing some interesting (VERY proactive!) work with practical solutions to
backcountry overuse problems...the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC).  They
seem to have the same political upheavals that all such groups go through,
but they have been in the outdoor biz for quite a while and are certainly
willing to attack the hard problems.  I don't always agree with their
solutions...but I always respect and try to come to understand them!

I am going to respond to your interesting message in segments (separate
messages)...both to give folks a chance to pick an interest area AND to try
to keep the OYOSAS folks from beating me up about message length <g>.

You said:

>O0> I had a negative stereotype of Boy Scouts from some things I've seen on
>the trail... I am encouraged & impressed by the training you give to
>Scouts... you have changed my perception of Scouts.

I wish that you were the ONLY one who held a negative stereotype of the Boy
Scout outdoor presence!  I got into LNT (in part) because I had become very
concerned that one of my favorite organizations was getting a bit too out
of date in the outdoor department...AND that the managing agencies were
less than happy about it <f>.  IMHO, there are a number of reasons why we
fell behind...ranging from a try at "urban emphasis" (instead of outdoor
emphasis) in the '70's to some pretty important demographic changes in our
volunteer adult leadership (a LOT fewer skilled outdoorsmen/women are unit
leaders now).

BSA was involved in the development (in the LA and Tucson areas) of much of
the minimum-impact techniques that led into the formal LNT program.  We
have had the LNT principles (the 7-principle version <g>) in the Boy Scout
Handbook since the early '90's.  The feds officially announced the kickoff
of the national multi-agency LNT program at the '93 Boy Scout Jamboree (in
VA).

One of the problems with an educational effort like LNT is in finding how
to put the message in front of potential backcountry users...giving them
the chance, at least, to dig further as they become aware of the damage
being done and of the easy ways to minimize it.  LNT trainers like me are
always willing to spread the word where we can, but we won't get the word
out very fast if we depend on one-on-one contacts.  We are always looking
for opportunities to train "trainers" who can themselves help spread the
word.  Even better, we look for opportunities to help groups
"instutionalize" the LNT message...then the group can keep training itself
in the years to come.

We all have high hopes that a LOT of backcountry users can be reached thru
Boy and Girl Scouting. We are working a number of initiatives in parallel
to help instutionalize LNT in Boy Scouting.  We have a "LNT Training Award"
for both youth and adults (sexy patch and everything <g>) that has been
percolating thru the BSA bureaucracy for over two years (while being tested
in two Councils on opposite coasts).  The LNT award jumped the last hurdle
and received its final approval just last month <g>.  We have trained
hundreds of staffers in LNT at our Philmont Scout Ranch and Northern Tier
Canoe Base...and they have passed the word to thousands of Scouts and
Scouters who passed thru their high-adventure bases.

Hooboy...it STILL ain't getting done fast enough <g>.  We have over 40,000
Troops out there and it takes a WHILE to get trained folks into every one
of them!  From what I hear, the Girl Scouts are doing a much better job
<g>.

I do LNT in Scouting because I was involved with Scouting before I became a
LNT trainer.  Other LNT trainers are working within their own personal
interest groups...ranging from hoss folks to mountain bikers to paddlers.
I don't think that any of us confine our training efforts to just our own
group...we all are prone to cross-pollinate from time to time <VBG>.

Be sure to ask any Scout group you see if they are aware of LNT.  In fact,
discussing LNT is a GREAT way to introduce yourself...just before you yogi
some of that good coffee they are making <g>.

Trace No Leaves,

- Charlie II