Re: [at-l] sleeping bags

James Bullard wrote:

> The pluses for the down bags are less weight (only 4-5 ounces but that's
> 8640 - 10800 ounce/miles on the AT), more compressible and some tell me
> warmer (even when comparing equally rated bags).
>
> The price difference isn't enough to bother about. I'm leaning toward the
> Primaloft but wonder if I'm missing something I should consider.

Saunterer,
The main other consideration is climate and how good you are at keeping
the sleeping bag dry.  In hiking the AT you are likely to average one
day in three wet - including a lot of heavy fog that sneaks into the
shelters and gets everything wet, as well as rain, snow, sleet,
hail,etc.  If you have a small tent or bivy, condensation will add to
the damp problem.  Down is useless when wet, while synthetics retain
some loft, and thus some warmth, even when they are wet (though you
still won't be really comfortable.)  On the AT, it is a consideration.
Some people are very happy with their down bags, but since my synthetics
manage to get damp, one way and another, I've been wary of trying down,
despite its weight and compressibility. Keeping it dry in the pack is
the easy part - it's after sundown that the problems come.

Ginny

PS Even with synthetics, don't wash them too often. They also lose loft
each time they are washed.  Our old 20 degree bags are about 40 degree
bags now.