Re: [at-l] Fire feedback!

Hey All,
    Making a fire should not be a good/bad type situation.  There are situations
where making a fire is not appropriate.  There are situations where fires are.  The
problem is not one single fire or even enough fires for an entire boy scout troop.
The problem is that people do not respect fire or it's effects on the world around
it and us.  It is correct that the ashes from one, or even several fires can be
absorbed back into the environment, however only so much can be absorbed.  People
have been reluctant to admit to this reality so many parks and other places where
people enjoy the out doors have fire pits.  Fire pits create a place where the
majority of the impact can be concentrated in one place.  Unfortunately people don't
respect these either and dump trash in them, creating an even greater impact.  One
has to wonder if people are stupid in general or just ignorant.  To me this seems
like common sense stuff.  If any one has any thoughts about how we can curb this
ignorance that cripples our wilderness I'd like to hear them.  I'm tired of walking
into designated campsites and seeing tp and other paper trash littering the ground
around the fire pits.

Eric