[at-l] Wondering...

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all I have learned just watching and
(electronically) listening to the conversations on this list - lurking you
call it.  I continue to grab little nuggets and save them in my "trail mail"
file in anticipation of their use in May when my sons, my sons-in-law and I
venture forth for the first time on our selected section of the AT in extreme
SW Virginia.

Now, for the latest wonderings...

First "I Wonder"
Is there any good rule of thumb for estimating what we called speed of advance
in my prior career (USCG ship driver) but which might best be defined as MPH
or MPD (miles per day) under normal conditions for reasonably fit but
inexperienced hikers??

Second "I Wonder"
How do you folks handle the 'I'm allergic to poison ivy' problem??
Intuitively, I would think that this rules out shorts - which would be a
bummer in hot weather.  But, what else does one do??  I know that I spend so
much time with my eyes on the ground so as to avoid contact with the dreaded
leaves of three that I am inclined to miss the things going on around me.

Thanks
Cap'n Al