Re: [at-l] To filter or not?

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, WH HAWKINS wrote:

> In a message dated 98-03-09 14:47:10 EST, Milt Webb wrote:
>=20
> >  Roland sent questionaires to 136 thru-hikers and one of the most
> >  interesting (and I'm sure controversial) findings had to do with water
> >  purification, methods used and incindent of GI illness on the trail.
> >  [snipped]...
> How do people get giardia? (From the Vermont Department of Health)
>=20
> [snip...]
>=20
> =95directly by hand-to-mouth transfe
>=20
> [snip...]

I realize that this survey was in '89 and doesn't account for advances in
filters over the last almost 10 years. What I didn't mention from the book
was his theory as to why the numbers seem to downplay the importance of
treating your water. He concluded that he thought much of the GI illnesses
that were reported were from person-to-person contact. He felt some of the
participants (or their contacts) were actually carriers of giardia and
passed it on to some through the sharing of food, water, etc.

-Milt