[at-l] AT Superlatives (fwd)

Here's my 2 cents:

** most magnificent view, but not including Katahdin>
The Saddlebacks during peak fall foliage

** most "intimate" section of trail (you know, where the woods feel
absolutely cozy)
A short stretch of pine forest a mile or so before Greenwall Shelter in
Vermont. There's also a two or three mile section that I believe is right
after VA605... a few miles before Sam Moore Shelter in Virginia. It is a
short stretch that is _immaculately_ maintaied by a local family and is
quite cozy walking, especially at dusk (the most pleasant time to hike,
IMHO).

** most challenging uphill haul
The Stecoah's! The seven mile stretch from the NOC to Sassafras Gap
Shelter has about 1,398 false summits. I didn't think i was ever going to
stop going up.

** most challenging downhill haul
Ditto the Moosilauke to Kinsman Notch. Took one of my worst diggers on the
trail there (and i took _a lot_ of diggers).

** Best view of a lake
Best view _from_ a lake... Pemadumcook Lake.
Best view _of_ a lake... The view of Flagstaff Lake from Avery Peak.

** worst spot for insects
Bryant Ridge Shelter for me. Peak bug season was over by the time i got to
Mass, so i didn't get to experience the mosquitoes that are so big, "they
have sex with the robins".

** Best chance to see a bear
Shenandoah's.

** Best place to see a moose
Saw one at Carter Pond and one just north of Sabbath Day Pond.

** best shelter
The one's that aren't full.

** best road crossing to hitch a ride
A road crossing where you have a female hitching with you.

** easiest 10-mile stretch of trail
The 20 mile stretch from Upper Goose Pond to Dalton, Mass.

** most impressive river crossing
The Kennebec in mid-October.

** most boring stretch of trail
Maryland, where you average a road crossing about every 2.8 miles. Walkman
time.

Let's add...

Best Privy
Piazza Rock... i love Cribbage.

Besy AYCE
The Home Place in Catawba, VA.

Best place to get Guiness on tap
The Inn at the Long Trail

Best place to tie one on for under 5 bucks
The Doyle

Best bakery
The bakery at DWG, although i missed out on Worthington's because it was
Tuesday, or whatever day it is that they're closed.

Fun thread, Lynn. Thanks!

-Rambleon-
'97 GAMEr.