Re: [at-l] Some Superlatives

TO KTAADN wrote:

> In a message dated 3/10/98 11:28:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> cmerritt@zoo.uvm.edu writes:
>
> << The 20 miles south of DWG, PA -- only place on the whole trail
> where
>  I wanted to *not* be hiking...  I did it though.  I won't do it
> again,
>  but I did it. >>
>
> I guess I'm in for a great treat.  All my AT experience is in PA so
> far
> including the section before DWG.  I've found every step enchanting.
> It
> excites me to know that I haven't seen any of the
> "best/prettiest/easiest"
> parts yet.  At least I'll get a 40 mile sample of NC this year.  I
> can't wait!

I guess I shouldn't completely dis this PA section.  I should say, I
never really wanted to quit hiking on *any* of the A.T.  At that point
in my thru-hike, though, I wasn't really enjoying it much.  And yes, a
good deal of it had to do with the infamous rocks, but a lot of it also
had to do with my attitude, which received some serious adjustment when
I hit DWG.  Nothing like a good soaking rain -- after 100+ degree heat
and little rain for quite a while -- and a reunion with friends to start
the smiles happening.

I am respectful and grateful for all of the Trail, this just happened to
be a point at which I was a bit low.  I think I contracted a case of the
Virginia blues about 300 miles late. ;-)

Keebler
Chris Merritt
Burlington, VT