[at-l] Sleeping bag system???

Okay, here it goes...

I see amny folks use 2 bags over the course of a thru hike... I know that
the conditions which one will encounter VARY!!! Well we layer clothes as a
system, why not do the same with our sleeping gear?

Well, I have used liner bags and overbags to make my old cat's meow warmer
and snow proof and as a bivy (gore-tex overbagis smaller than a bivy and
adds 10-15 degrees.I sewed in a yard of no see-netting in mine...wt= 1 lb..)

 A liner is great for warm nites alone or can be used to add another 5-9.5
degrees (I was thinking Salt Designs silk liner +9.5 degrees advertised...)

A mid weight sleeping bag 35-40 degree (down or Polarguard 3D)

I figured that with this set-up a myriad of possibilities can be attained
for around the same price as 2 bags...and weight should be around 3lbs...

for example:         TNF Tourlight       35   degrees      $155         28
oz
                  Salt desn slik liner         -9.5 degrees      $  60
4.7 oz.
                  my old overbag          -10-20   degrees   $  75 aprx  16

        TOTAL                                  4.5-15  DEGREE  $280

48.7oz=3.04LBS

This seems great for the unpredictable early temps... will work with the
milder ones...can be tailored to the weather.... can send part of it home as
it warms, sent back when it gets cold again... and its around the same price
as two bags or one expensive bag and the same weight as my TNF Cats Meow
(which is too warm for many nites...) But before i lay out some of my hard
earned cash, anyone ever used such a system? How did it work? I've used a
flannel liner/Cat's meow/O.B. nites down below zero and it did fine, but the
A.T. doesn't need overkill so any comments/suggestions??? Is my math right?

Another saga of a day in Hell with

Gary L.
 a.k.a. Slasher