Re: [at-l] AT Superlatives]

ynn Setzer wrote:

> ** most magnificent view, but not including Katahdin

Sunset off Max Patch or
Lafayette Ridge on a clear day (they do happen!)

> ** most challenging uphill haul
Kinsman with a full pack.

> ** most challenging downhill haul
Moosilauke, no doubt.

> ** Best view of a lake
Camp-site beside Pierce Pond - or maybe the view over the reservoir from
the Fontana Hilton looking up at the Smokies, or the campsite at Antlers
after a wonderful swim, or the mist rising from Rainbow Lake, looking
toward Katahdin on an autumn morning.

> ** worst spot for insects
Massachusetts, the bog state.

> ** Best chance to see a bear
Shenandoahs - I've seen several there.

> ** Best place to see a moose
Any pond in the Hundred Mile Wilderness - It was fun wandering through
the woods,calling, "Here bullwinkle, here moosie moosie," every time we
passed a pond, and several times we would look out and see a dark shape
across the water, and hear the snuffle and snort of a moose splashing in
the pond.

> ** best shelter
Any one in a heavy downpour.

> ** easiest 10-mile stretch of trail
The last 10 miles into Damascus - downhill, light pack, shower awaiting
on a cold and sleety day, I flew.

 ** hardest 10-mile stretch of trail
For me,  the Carter-Moriahs - my knees didn't like that descent into
Carter Notch, or the climb out or Wildcat A, B, C, D, and E, or the
Carters or the rest of the steep ups and downs through there. It
was unexpectedly tough.

> ** most surprising experience coming out of time spent on the AT
Total change in me, my life, my goals.

> ** most impressive river crossing
Kennebec - I took the canoe the first time, but forded the second - it
was scary, but fun.  It was a hot day, and I swim well, so I figured the
worst that could happen would be I would get wet - the best that could
happen would be, I'd get wet.

> ** most boring stretch of trail
For me it was the area around Port Clinton - the green tunnel there
seemed to have few redeeming features, just rocks, and not even any
decent climbs to challenge me.  Though the 35 cent beers in town made up
for a lot.

Thanks Lynn.  Lots of good memories - even the not so good ones.

Ginny

-- BEGIN included message

Lynn Setzer wrote:

> ** most magnificent view, but not including Katahdin

Sunset off Max Patch or
Lafayette Ridge on a clear day (they do happen!)

> ** most challenging uphill haul
Kinsman with a full pack.

> ** most challenging downhill haul
Moosilauke, no doubt.

> ** Best view of a lake
Camp-site beside Pierce Pond - or maybe the view over the reservoir from
the Fontana Hilton

> ** worst spot for insects
Massachusetts, the bog state.

> ** Best chance to see a bear
Shenandoahs (saw 2 there)

> ** Best place to see a moose

Hundred Mile Wilderness - It was fun wandering through the woods,
calling, "Here bullwinkle, here moosie moosie," every time we passed a
pond, and occasionally we would look out and see a dark shape across the
water, and hear the snuffle and snort of a moose.

> ** best shelter
Any one in a heavy downpour.

> ** easiest 10-mile stretch of trail
The last 10 miles into Damascus - downhill, light pack, shower awaiting.

 ** hardest 10-mile stretch of trail
For me,  the Carter-Moriahs - my knees didn't like that descent into
Carter Notch, or the rest of the steep ups and downs through there. It
was unexpectedly tough.

> ** most surprising experience coming out of time spent on the AT
Total change in me, my life, my goals.

> ** most impressive river crossing
Kennebec - I took the canoe the first time, but forded the second - it
was scary, but fun.  On a hot day, I figured the worst that could happen
would be I would get wet - the best that could happen would be, I'd get
wet.

> ** most boring stretch of trail
The area around Port Clinton - the green tunnel there seemed to have few
redeeming features, just rocks, and not even any decent climbs to
challenge me.  Though the 35 cent beers in town made up for a lot.

Good memories - even the bad ones.

Ginny

-- END included message