hopefl: Re: [at-l] LNT 12- Smokey's revenge another view

From: hopefl
To: charliethorpe@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: [at-l] LNT 12- Smokey's revenge another view
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 22:17:55 -0700

I have to take exception to a few comments here. I will first say that I
have attempted to live by the old scout slogan, "take nothing but
pictures, leave nothing but footprints." I do and have supported the LNT
philosophy all my life. I'm a farm kid and even as a youth I contrasted
the cleanliness of our woods with the garbage dumped along the highways.
On to the issue of fires.

>the amount of ashes and charcoal nubbins builds up and up and often
>gets
>piled out of sight behind nearby veggies...hanging around for a LONG
>time;

I have an honest to pete fireplace, no gas logs, and I purposely put the
ashes on my veggies. The ash will disappear in about a month. I do smooth
it out some so it will cover evenly. Nature is no stranger to fire and
ashes.

>partially and unburned trash (aluminum foil, especially) litters the
>ground
>around the fire pits;
>
>half-burned nasties (rotten garbage, critter carcasses, bloody items,
>sour
>grease, used TP, etc.) get left in the fire pit for the next campers
>play in;

Trash in a fire pit isn't the result of fire. It is left by an unthinking
or irresponsible campers. I have packed out POUNDS of garbage left in
firepits and chimneys but none of it was left by the fire.

>fire-light blinds folks from any chance of seeing the beauty of the
>night-time sky and the quiet moon-lit backcountry;

A flashlight will do a number on night-vision. The choice doesn't have to
be never have a fire or never see the night sky. If viewing the night sky
is desired then stay away from the fire for five minutes and the eyes
will adjust. Unless you are my age in which case allow about 10 minutes.

>fire-light and smoke scares away any interesting and exciting
>night-time
>critters that the fire users might have gotten to see or hear;

I have to reject this one for sure. I have set by my fire and watched all
manor of varmints come to visit. I have wondered if raccoons, opossums
and skunks are not as attracted to fire as are moths.

As I have said, I believe in and practice an out door ethic that results
in no noticeable damage to our world. I do this at home. I am known as
the recycling fanatic that goes around turning out lights and keeps his
waterhear wrapped in extra insulation and has a compost box in his yard.
I suggest that every time we break a blade of grass we leave a trace.
However, a footprint is soon mended. We are a part of our world. It is no
crime to use it. It is terrible to abuse it. Rather than swear off camp
fires, I'd like to see folks use fire to restore some of what our
"civilization takes from us. There is a metaphysical element in fire that
connects with something deep within us, or we connect with it. Let us not
through the baby out with the bath water, let's use our backcountry
wisely.   Hopeful