[at-l] AT Book "Long Distance Hiking" by Roland Mueser (AT-89)

Has anyone picked up or read a copy of this book by Roland Mueser (AT-89)?
Since I'm obsessed with buying every book about the trail I picked this
one up and found it very unique and interesting.

DISCLAIMER: This is what I read, not what I know...

Roland sent questionaires to 136 thru-hikers and one of the most
interesting (and I'm sure controversial) findings had to do with water
purification, methods used and incindent of GI illness on the trail.

Briefly, 30% of those FILTERING their water reported GI illness compared
to only 27% for those using NO TREATMENT at all.

Did that get anyone's attention???

The highest occurrence of GI problems were reported by those using only
chlorine to treat the water.

Another table shows the frequency of purification vs. incidence of GI
illnesses. Of those who ALWAYS treated their water 21% were ill. Those who
NEVER treated their water, 20%.

The tables and interpretation of the data are quite comprehensive and out
of scope for this message. But, it presents a very different POV on the
whole water issue.

Milt

PS. Info on book...

Title: Long Distance Hiking-Lessons from the AT