Re: [at-l] Aged Coleman Fuel

Milt Webb, IQ Software wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Tim Hewitt wrote:
>
> > I regularly use aged fuel, often three and four year old partial bottles are
> > mixed together. The only thing I do religiously is strain the fuel from the
> > original bottle - or the current storage bottle - into a new, clean bottle. I
> > always find junk in the fuel that gets strained out.  I've never noticed a
> > difference in the ability of the stove to burn this fuel.
>
> Great idea. I have three partially used cans the oldest about a year and a
> half. What do you filter it with? I have that little coleman funnel with
> the fine mesh screen in it - that good enough?
> -Milt

I made a filter from a cut off soda bottle (plastic) and an old pair of nylons
that works really well. If you cut the bottle off after the funnel shape, you
can make a tube from the middle of the bottle that will hold the nylon in
place if you force it over the bottom piece.

Let me "draw" it for you:

   |------| - nylon filter over lower funnel
    |    | - funnel shape of bottle opening
     \  /

I don't know how this would compare with the little coleman funnel, but this
is what I use to filter my fuel. The mouth of the soda bottle fits into my SIG
bottle just fine.

Paddler (GA>ME 99)