From: Gary & Helene <slash426@typhoon.co.jp>
To: at-l@saffron.hack.net
Subject: [at-l] new to the list...
Date: Thursday, March 05, 1998 7:44 AM

Hello all

My name is Gary and I am an alcoholic...(whoops sorry wrong meeting...) I
am 30 years old, from FLA, living in tokyo for another year or so.... Was
in the military (Army 4yrs-USMC 6yrs...) and got out 2 yrs ago and joined
my wife(she's Dutch and doesn't hike...bummer huh?) here in Tokyo and
having been working on my Bachelors degree.

I dreamed about doing the T since i first stepped on it in 1986 as a 19
year old  Paratrooper doing training... WOW to hike without a rifle during
the day and for the pure FUN of it!!! WOW what a concept!!! Thus the itch
began.....

I was going to do the trail this year, till about last August when other
OBLIGATIONS nixed that idea... I have come to the realization the
proverbial later never comes in this life, so once my home is on the same
continent as the AT I have permission from the wife to go ahead and take
the 6-7 months time to do it (she wants to be able to have an occasional
visit to ensure I'm being a good boy...). If all goes well i'll be gone in
99 or 2000....

My hiking experiences-I hiked a lot in the Carolinas, tennesse, and have
done all of the AT in GA, about half of the Smokies... I've done a couple
overnighters and many day hikes in Germany, a couple day hikes in the Swiss
Alps and the Dolomite region of Italy, and a couple night hikes in Mali
when I was there, I've been discovering the trails here in Japan although I
usually get lost since i can't read the trail signs or the maps (my
Japanese leaves a lot to be desired...).I jus plain like to hike where ever
I have been and whenever I could, although a through hike seems like a good
cure for having been overseas for too long( since '93) and a good reward to
myself for all the sacrifices I've made over the years for later... Well
now I can begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel (Please, don't be
another train....) so i am beginning to seriously ponder the details
whether it be next year or the year after.

I look forward to reading the posts, getting some good advice, and maybe
even share some of my own (WARNING- the Surgeon General has determined that
taking my advice could be detreMENTAL to your health..) Well, that's about
all about me.... (at least that I'll admit to, but then i think I've
already done enough of that.)

Happy Trails

Gary (a.k.a. Slasher) Schloesser