RE: [at-l] Re: ATML LNT - ****

The dead whale never dies! The whale in question died on the Oregon coast
a number of years ago. After unsuccessfully disposing of the carcus with other
more conventional means, dynamite was suggested. Thoes in charge, never having
blown up a whale before, had no idea of how much dynamite to use or
how to place the charges.

Beliving in the old saying "the too much was always better than too little". A whole
was dug under the whale and a half ton of explosives were carefully packed into place.
One of the other little details these brilliant planners forgot, was to calculate the expected
spread of the debrie. Instead of directing the explosion to launch the dead whale out to
see from whence it came, it was directed up.

Since the whale had been dead a few days before liftoff, there was sufficent time for it
to be come a local media event. In anticipation, people lined the dunes waiting for the
blessed event. It was quite a site to see a couple tons of rotting whale flesh rise
gloriously in the air. Kind of like that emotional feeling we get watching a nuclear
explosion. That feeling vanished in about three seconds when the crowds
collectively realized that what goes up must come down. And they were ground
zero of the fall out.

I've seen lots of stuff falling from the sky (including ash from Mt. St. Helens, and
tree tops in wind storms), but that's one storm I'm glad to have missed. (And people
complain how bad we smell after a couple weeks on the trail.) On large chunk of
rotting whale meat sailed a couple hundered feet before coming to rest on the roof of
someones new car. I have to admit it did a find job of pancaking that roof.  I understand
that the car was repaired and is still in service.

Well if you ever come across a beached whale on the AT don't hesitate to call.

Ron