[at-l] re: hosses - why downhill

someone asked WHY step to the downhill side?  there have been a few good
"hiker" reasons for doing so, but no-one has yet mentioned a "horse-packer"
reason.

in a few conversations with horse packers in the sierras, i have learned
that it is much, MUCH easier to bring a spooked horse under control if it
is spooking uphill rather than downhill.  makes sense, right?  in the same
way it would be easier for us hikers to evade a horse if we ran downhill, a
spooked horse is much more likely to break free of the pack if it goes
downhill.

horses will likely spook AWAY from the threatening hiker.  so, we step off
the trail to the downhill side, and if they spook, they spook uphill.  i've
seen this happen a couple times, and i have to agree with it.  a loaded
horse can't do a whole lot going uphill, certainly compared to downhill.

i, too, like to know the reasons why we do things certain ways.  it does
seem counter-intuitive to step downhill, but i've seen the "reason in
action," and it makes sense to me.  luckily, i have yet to meet a pack
train on a cliff trail or really steep section.  if i do, i will turn
around and go back to a decent "turnout!"

and thanks, charlie, for the LNT discussion.  i have been privy (pun
definitely intended) to your posts on pct-l.

mike
ke kaahawe   AT92 TYT94 PCTsoon
mikeh@royalrobbins.com