[at-l] White Blazes

Hi All,

Really erratic weather in the Lehigh Valley area has finally gotten to
me and I had to take a day off from work.  It got me thinking about
when I saw my first white blaze.  Growing up in the Washington DC
area I had an opportunity to cross the trail when we would make our
yearly trip to the mountains.  I was quite young when we hiked a
small portion of the trail, but I barely remember that adventure.  My
parents were not outdoor types and hiking was something that they did
not choose to participate in.

My first white blaze that I remember see a white blaze was in the
boys scouts.  In 1962 we hike a portion of the trail in SNP.  It was
fun and we even met two through hikers, but the AT did not make much
of an impression on me.  Later I went to East Tennessee State
University and hiked a few portions of the trail in the state.

I really did not become an outdoor person until I went to graduate
school in Canada.  Because summer is only July 1st (Canada Day), my
wife and I took up Cross Country skiing, and later camping and
hiking.  We hiked portions of the Bruce  Trail.

When we moved back to the states (now with two children) we relocated
to New Jersey.  Now we live in PA.  This is were I caught AT fever.
The first time I saw a white blaze in PA my heart started racing.  I
did not realize that I lived so close to the trail.  Since then I
have hiked several portions many times and this year my goal in to
hike 1/2 of the trail in PA.

Rain today, not great for the rest of the week.  No hiking.

Cheers,
Bob Dudley
Grey Owl