Re: [at-l] Ron & Cheryl

>To:OgreTard <OgreTard@aol.com>
>From:ssharpe@wellesley.edu (Sharon Sharpe)
>Subject:Re: [at-l] Ron & Cheryl
>
>>In a message dated 98-02-27 22:47:20 EST, you write:
>>
>>does anyone know alot about Creatine? what are the side affects of taking it?
>>
>>OGRETARD@AOL.com
>>* From the Appalachian Trail Mailing List | For info
>>http://www.hack.net/lists *

The apparant answer to date is that nobody knows what the side effects are.
Some reports of increase tendency toward dehydration are only anecdotal at
present.  It seems that using creatine delays the onset of fatigue and allows
one to work out longer in order to condition better.  Not sure what good it
would be in a hiking context.  Just about "everyone" who is training for
high level athletic competition, especially football, basketball etc, is using
it and reporting good results.

My personal opinion is that nothing is without side effects.  Whatever they
may be, we just haven't found them yet.  Some of my colleagues feel that
creatine will be a banned substance by the NCAA and USOC within a few years,
since it is obviously a performance-enhancing substance - like steroids, it
seems to allow for enhanced muscle growth.  I have heard some of the increased
tendency toward muscle cramping and dehydration symptoms.  I guess I don't
see the advantage for hiking.

Take care

Sharon

Sharon Sharpe