RE: [at-l] LNT - Hiking HARD!

>.  I am told by horse packers that, by
> far, the easiest thing for everyone is for the hiker (the smaller and most
> mobile of the bunch <g>) to step a pace or two off the trail on the
> downhill side.  As you do, check to see if you have any bandannas or
> shirttails that might be fluttering in the breeze (hold them still if you
> do).

Hi Charlie

I totally disagree with your directions for backpackers and other hikers to
step to the downside of the trail.  Rather, the opposite is correct!  When
approaching an oncoming horseman, one should step to the inside, or the bank
side of the trail.  This will insure that, whatever might happen during the
passing, the hiker would remain safe because their "self" is against the
wall, so to speak.  I agree with the rest of your statement that one should
speak quitely.

I suppose that one might  say that those mule train riders that make daily
incursions into the Grand Canyon via the Bright Angel and Kaibab Trails
would encounter many backpackers and hikers.  I have encountered pack stock
numerous times and have always moved to the high side, (bank side) of the
trail.

Why would a hiker move to the downside and take a chance on getting tumbled
over?  Think about it!

Respectfully

'tricknee'