Re: [at-l] Ron & Cheryl

Tingle, Bruce wrote:

> Had a voicemail from Cheryl today. They are doing fine and on schedule.
> She called to say they were sending back their winter gear to exchange
> for lighter stuff (too warm down there) and Chery'ls raingear (guess she
> thought it didn't rain down south).
>
> Anyway, all is well.

Bruce -

I don't think so.  Ginny and I are hoping there's more to this story
because we've got alarm bells going off -- big time. Sending winter gear
home before Mt Rogers isn't a real smart move - we had 14 inches of snow
on Mt Rogers on May 9th. Go read the Kushmans journal. It's on a couple
web pages as well as in the at-l archives. As I recall, they had
blizzards and then constant rain.

Personally, my first 3 days out of Springer were warm and sunny and I
was wondering why I was carrying all this winter gear. But I got my
answer - the 4th day was a cold rain, the 5th was an ice storm and then
it got sunny, but really cold for a while - and then the sleet and
freezing rain started.  Had snow, sleet and freezing rain for most of
the next two months. And I left a month later than Ron and Cheryl did.

If anyone talks to them, you might suggest that they're gonna be very
unhappy campers without that stuff.

Walk softly,
Jim