Re: [at-l] Hiking Poles

>What are decent hiking poles? Sierra Trading Post has some, but with the
>shipping charges, I could buy from REI instead.

Well, I got my moneysworth out of the REI "climb the world" trekking poles
(about $60 for the pair), but I wouldn't recommend them for the wear and
tear of a thruhike. They'd be fine for weekend hiking and occasional longer
trips. They seemed to last about 500 miles before breaking, usually when
the tip snapped off.

My first pair broke north of Mt. Rogers. Replaced free by REI. My second
pair broke south of Lehigh Gap, PA. Replaced free by REI (Apparently
there's no "Pennsylvania Rocks Exception" in the guarantee). My third pair
broke north of Monson, ME. Replaced free by REI. So, I still have my fourth
pair of REI poles. But they were a pain in the ass on the hike, and during
several long stretches of the AT (Bland VA-Waynesboro, Lehigh
GapPA-Glenwood NJ, Gulf Hagas-Katahdin), while the REI poles were being
exchanged, I hiked with wooden sticks or broken poles. The sticks worked
fine.

BTW, the REI poles are made by Komperdell of Austria, the same company that
makes the poles on sale in the Sierra TP catalog.

--Rhymin' Worm