[at-l] Re: It's how you carry it that matters.....

>  Having the right pack can make carrying a lot of weight more COMFORTABLE,
>  but it does not lessen the stress you're putting on your feet, ankles,
>  legs, and knees one bit. It also doesn't decrease the energy required to
>  move the weight down the trail. With the right pack and the right technique
>  carrying a 25 pound pack is still going to be over twice as enjoyable as
>  carrying a 50 pound pack.
>
>  50 pounds is 50 pounds, whether you're comfortable or not!

Hi Mike...
    The logic involved is this; the stress on your body from improper lifting
or carrying a heavy load can cause serious damage to your back and knees.
Think of it as the difference between picking up a heavy pack by bending at
the waist, as opposed to bending your knees. It's not the weight, it's the
forces that the weight puts on your body that matters.. The energy needed to
carry a poorly distributed load is, actually, greater than the amount needed
to carry the same weight properly. Yes, 50 pounds is 50 pounds, but it'll
*seem* lighter if carried comfortably!
    I'd like to ask some of the MedicalyEnlightened out there in AT-ville to
comment on this thread, please!
  HappyTrails!! TraderJohn ( aka JohnGordon)