Re: [at-l] REI dividend

> during 1997 and when my dividend was mailed to me, they only gave
> me 8.37% back instead of 10.??% if I had written a check instead.
> To me the Visa Check Card and writing a check are the same thing
(right?).

I think Visa takes a percentage of each transaction even if it is a
check card
(I know they do with credit cards).

> From now on, I'll only purchase
> what I need at REI, food, fuel, etc. and shop around on the bigger
> stuff, ie. bags, tents, and packs.

I would do this anyway.  Even with the dividend, I don't find REI's
prices to be
that great.  Most of what I buy from REI is out of their junk bin.

> Does anyone know of a better source for equipment ??

Campmor and Sierra Trading Post are pretty good mail order places.  EMS
has
pretty good sale prices.  Look in the Yellow Pages for local retailers,
too.  Most
of my equipment has come from Grand West and Mountain Chalet here in
Colorado
Springs.  They both have great prices and better selection than REI.  My
general
rule on gear is never buy anything new that isn't at least 20% off
suggested retail
price.  Look for end of season sales and used gear to get even better
deals.

                                                    -Tom