[at-l] Hitting several topics with one post

 ::deep breath::
'Pack' weight ( should be called 'load weight')-
1) Get nekkid, and weigh yourself...  then eat a big meal and *gearup*, with
boots, full water bottles, stuffed pack, lekis, the works... then weigh your
self again... then add a few pounds to account for the dirt, mud, wet gear and
soaking rain...  then subtract the weight of the nekkid person, and you have
the true total for how much you are hauling.
2) It's not how much you carry, as it is *how* you carry it... and that's a
combination of having the right pack, properly fitted and packed, and hiking
technique (read the latter as posture, poles, and strides).
Bears- Black Bears are attracted to every human smell, not just 'food' smells.
Try and keep *all* smelly stuff away from your campsite.
Gaiters- I agree, from pebbles to water and poison ivy to mud, these are a
must!
Contacts- bring saline to rinse your lenses... filtered water is not a good
idea.
Eyeglasses- always wear a strap, keeps em on in sweaty or I-fell-down
scenarios.
Sunglasses- Polarized, fishing style... really helps with stream crossings and
fog..
Batteries- Replace em before a hike, try to need only one size spare.
Radio- with one ear piece, [weather reports and the RedSox] :)
Trowel- You should bring one... and yes, I'm guilty of not using it all the
time, too.
Socks- Bring plenty, change often.
Boots- Break 'em in, break 'em in break 'em in, break 'em in.
Bugs- even Avon admits SkinSoSoft doesn't work... I don't put the DEET on my
skin, I wear a ballcap that has years of deet squirted/sprayed on it, keeps
the critters out of my hair.. When the blackflies and skeeters are real bad, I
wear long pants, long sleeves, and a head net over my cap.
Cleaning- Wetnaps or babywipes...
Hydration- Drink water every chance you get :)
Streching- First thing, and last thing to do when hiking.
Hiking exercizes- Stairmasters are good, but real stairs are better, you get
the up *&* the down that way ( I walk fast to the stadium, with a pack, and do
the stairs)
And.... nothing teaches you how to do something like doing it your self! Go do
it!!
well, I'll stop, cuz I know you all have things to do, and places to go :)
HappyTrails! TraderJohn...  ps, YMMV, this is all MHO, and.. <g>