Re: [at-l] re: What to buy from REI for $100?

At 7:09 PM -0500 2/20/98, CHoover241@aol.com wrote:
>Hey all,
>Not to ramble, but I work near Baltimore and some of these people don't get
>out of the city for nothing, but have actually had coworkers come up to me and
>ask me how they can get information about this hiking "thing."   Does anyone
>have any suggestions?  This would be for people without home computers....
>
>Thanks,
>
>         choovers

I'd suggest the "ultra  low cost high info route" and take a hike to:

1. Visit their local library and read some books and magazines that works.

2. Call the 800 numbers and get free catalogs. Get REI, Campmor, EMS and others
   and some free travel guides for "guided hikes".

3. Visit a local outdoor supplier and find out if there is an outdoor or
   hiking club and talk with real people and maybe even take a hike with
   the group.

4. Visit a boy scout, girl scout or local hiking or outdoor group and see
the smile on the people's faces. The municipal town knows of these
organizations.

5. Take a day trip, then a weekender, then a week, then ???

tom 'hikenet' caggiano