Re: [at-l] tyvek

Ted Kell wrote:

> I just got a catalog from "Into The Wind" a kite supplier.  They have tyvek
> 1422R.  "Our type 1422R Tyvek even feels like cloth.  60" wide.  40 grams/
> sq. meter. white only."  $2.50/yd  1-800-541-0314
[clip]

So OK, I've lost the original description of the different Tyvek products. Is
this one the one that "doesn't leak?"  I can fly a kite made of paper and I
wouldn't make a tarp from one...

Has anyone actually tested Tyvek under themselves in rainy conditions?  It's
one thing to fill a bulge with water and see if it leaks through, but quite
another to subject it to the hydraulic pressures that you put on a tarp while
sleeping on it.

I'm very curious about this stuff, as I'm discarding my under-the-tent fly for
my Clip Flashlight and going to an inside the tent "bathtub tarp." I hate to
carry the ubiquitous blue plastic, but nylon in this application is not good
either.  Tyvek on the other hand, might just be perfect...

Paddler (GA>ME 99)