Re: [at-l] A Little Help, Please

> After much research I settled on the Eureka Talon.  It seems to be well
> respected and has what I need.  Unfortunately, they won't sell mail order and
> the three stores identified on Eureka's web site as being available locally
> are no help - one went out of business, the second won't deal in backpacks,
> and the third, Sports Authority, is less than enthusiastic about special
> ordering.

I started my thru-hike last year with a Talon bought from Campmor.  Before
ever starting the Trail, on one week long trip, much of the stitching on
the storm flap was coming off.  Campmor replaced the pack.   About
a third of the way through the AT, without ever putting more than 45 lbs
in the pack, the hipbelt broke.  Campmor replaced that one.  About
two-thirds of the way through, it broke again.  I called Campmor again,
and they said it wasn't a good idea for me to get the same pack.  They
suggested the CampTrails Omega (I think is the name), which is virtually
the same pack, but was actually a little easier to pack and seemed to hold
up much better than the Talon.  Campmor also mentioned that they have had
a lot of troubles with the Talon.  While I won't come out and say that the
Talon is shoddy, my experience with it was not good, and I'm much happier
with the CampTrails.
				Ryan
		Bacon Double Cheeseburger '97