Re: [at-l] Re: ATML clinic bomber at large near AT?

Bill Thorneloe writes:
> Pox Populi wrote:

>>> This is also a good reason _not_ to bring firearms into the AT, but to
>>> consider pepper spray if one feels one must bring a defensive weapon.
>>
>>Why?
>>
>Because you are much more likely to provide the fugitive with another
>weapon than one is to succeed in a shoot out with him.

That is far from a certainty, but even if it were true, so
what? If he already has a firearm, it will almost certainly
be better than whatever concealed carry pistol he'd acquire
from a hiker. If the history of past shootouts with the cops
is any guide, the only use he'll get out of a back-up gun is
to blow out his brains after he's been cornered and runs out
of ammunition for his primary weapon.

Research into police use of back-up firearms also indicate that
they're rarely used (it is almost always preferred to attempt
to fix or reload your primary firearm, than go to a less
powerful one that you're not as familiar with).

>                                                       Plus, guns are heavy
>and hazardous for most hikers. This reminds one of a thread regarding AT
>security and a few who felt inclined to pack heat on the trail.

Whatever. I've already addressed the issues of weight and
competence on this list. I shan't do it again, especially
when my arguments tend to be answered by assertions.

What I was originally asking is, why do you recommend that
pepper spray be considered if you believe that a firearm
is insufficient? Are you advocating that people purposely
carry inadequate devices with which to defend against deadly
attack? What is the point?

[...]

>>If the fugitive has two brain cells to rub together, your cell
>>phone will be among the first things he takes. For that matter,
>>you'd be lucky if he lets you simply walk away after robbing you.
>
>I agree. I would encourage anyone to help the fugitive to feel that it is
>unnecessary to prevent your walking away from the encounter. Be polite,
>offer food and services he demands, and offer to deliver his message to the
>media/authorities. Make your life worthwhile to this fugitive.

Humph. I would offer my own opinion on dealing with aggressors,
but it would be deemed an attitude too "romantic" for modern,
enlightened times.

>                                                            A cell phone
>would be a neat tool to communicate with him, and would also help locate
>him. (He would be a fool to take it. He is dangerous, but probably not a
>fool.)

He would take it from you and disable it, to keep you from
calling down the Man. Furthermore, the unit has to actually be
turned on in order to be tracked.

--
mfuller@somtel.com; Northern Franklin County, Maine
The Constitution is the white man's ghost shirt.  }>:-/> --->