Re: [at-l] Re: Blazes etc.

Ahh, The joy of jumping trains.  When I was thirteen years old or so we jumped a
freight on the railroad tracks behind my house.  Everything went great, untill we
were fifteen or so miles out of town and we decided that we wanted to get off.  We
jumped into a ditch.  I seperated my shoulder and my friend Sean broke his collar
bone.  We were dirty, bloody, our clothes were torn and it was like ninety five
degrees outside.  We didn't have any money to make a phone call so we walked all the
way home.  We didn't get home untill late that evening and we both needed trips to
the emergency room.   I got a lot of attention at school for having a sling and I
didn't have to play badminton in gym.  I also got this great story out of it,
however, I'm pretty sure it wasn't worth the blisters and the trip to the emergency
room or the impressive whipping my mom dished out on me when she was sure I was
okay.  I certainly don't want to deal with that stuff on a hike, after all, my mom
hasn't lost her touch.  The moral of this story is don't jump trains, you will very
likely get hurt.  I think sleeping with a side of beef in your tent while in bear
country is probably safer.

Eric

Waldo told us about some guy that jumped aboard a train at one trail/RR crossing and
road it to the next.  Ergo.....silver blazing!!  Caution.  Althought it's true that
I've been known to hop a freight car from time to time in my youth, it's an
incredibly stupid and dangerous thing to do.  Which just proves what an incredibley
stupid kid I was.  the trains is moving much faster than it looks to be.  It is very
easy to turn an ankle and fall under the wheels as you try to mount.  Sane
people...even most insane people don't do this.