[at-l] P. Grove Ruck, spouse left behind

Kurt Russell wrote:

> To those of you who attended the Ruck:
>
> I read something in one of the posts following the gathering (maybe from
> Kahley?) wherein the author/ess referred to some talk -informal- about "the
> spouse left behind", and the flavor I got from the post (no, Felix or Sly, I
> didn't lick the monitor..) seemed cautionary. I have wondered from time to
> time what the discussion was concerning. I am of two minds regarding my
> thru-hike-to-come - strongest, I think, is that I want to do it alone,
> because for some nebulous and undefined reason I see it as a sort of
> test/vision quest (and that is a very poor description, but will have to
> suffice), one that I *should* do by myself. If I do my hike alone, though,
> and not attempt (though I highly admire) something like what the Solemates
> are doing, is this "spouse left behind" discussion something I, and maybe
> others in similar dilemmas, should be aware of? Have other AT'ers run into
> this little dilemma? I would appreciate feedback on this one... Life is
> simpler when you only have to think of yourself, but deeper in some ways
> when you must think of others. Thanks!

Kurt -
One place to start (it's not an answer for everyone) is at:
http://www.circumtech.com/outdoors/thruhikingpapers/part7.html
(It's also on the ALDHA-W page at:
http://www.gorp.com/nonprof/aldhaw/

If you have questions I'll try to help - but you might also want to read
the
caveats in part 1.  Or maybe Kahley and Ginny will tell you what they
REALLY talked about - they didn't tell me either.  ;-) You might also
want to talk to those who have done it that way - Jan and Bob (all the
way) for example.

Walk softly,
Jim