Re: [at-l] Its Just Stuff

Felix wrote:

> I ain't on no keyboard strike. I'm just trying to figure out why some
> folks would want to take away the 'human element' of these lists. Sure,
> we can talk about the gear all ya want. But, bottom line, those packs are
> strapped on the backs of humans. People getting divorced, people loosing
> family members to death, people who can't hike themselves...and people
> who make bad jokes are the people who make up these lists.

Some people haven't figured out yet that that's exactly why I don't talk
gear.  Any newbie can talk gear - and they do. It's the one part of
their "future" thruhike that they have any control over so they feel
comfortable with it. And there's nothing wrong with that - we all do
it.  But those who have walked the Trail should have learned that a
thruhike is about life and people - and love - and laughter - with a
little tragedy thrown in.  If they can't talk about those things - or
appreciate others talking about them - then maybe they need to walk the
Trail again.  But then, don't we all need that?

> Now, we want to ban humor, or attempts thereof?

Humor - is that what we're calling it now?  My brother-in-law the
psychologist has other words for it. But what does he know?

>  I've been on the AT-L for a year and a half. For the life of me I can't
> figure out how a person I don't ever recall receiving a message from can
> expect to change the list to meet her/his own desire. This list has
> pretty much been this way, and fairly happily so, since before I joined.
> Why change it now? I digress. Or, do I?

Not at all - as long as those of us who have been here through the
umbrella and monkey butt wars can stand your humor - and our own - I
don't think anyone else has right or reason to complain.

> BTW, Mrs. Purtlebaugh's service was beautiful. Complete with Clydesdales.

Did they manage to retrieve her leg from the monkeys and get it in the
coffin?  I'd like to have seen the Clydesdales' reaction to the ferrets.
And was the vat of beans enough to feed everyone at the wake?

Hang in there, my friend. I've been where you're at - and it does get
better. But it takes time, and sometimes it seems like forever.  One day
at a time.

Yeah - I need to do some hiking, too.

Walk softly,
Jim