Re: [at-l] clinic bomber at large near AT?

At 01:33 PM 2/17/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>...Speaking
>for myself, I'd hate to run across him out in the woods, though I'm sure he
>knows it's in his best interest not to be seen by recreational hikers. For
>that reason, it's probably nothing to panic about. But maybe, for safety's
>sake, early AT thruhikers should be aware of the situation.

I agree, and I suspect that most folks local to North Georgia, NC and Tenn
are acutely aware of the situation. This may be a good reason to avoid
hiking alone over the next few weeks. This man is likely to be dangerous,
desperate, in need of new clothing, hungry, and far more clever than the
usual bear in the woods.

This is also a good reason _not_ to bring firearms into the AT, but to
consider pepper spray if one feels one must bring a defensive weapon. I
suspect a cell phone would be more handy. There is safety in numbers,
people and communications. ;-)

If he is out there, avoid confrontation, provide him with supplies, get out
alive and safely, and _then_ contact the authorities. I doubt we will see a
great deal of info from the feds about how they are pursuing him, or where
they are looking. The blunders of the FBI after the Olympic bombing have
given them wisdom for dealing with such characters.

Bill Thorneloe