Re: [at-l] What have you forgotten?

Last summer I went on a 2 day trip on the AT in Pennsylvania with a
friend of mine (an absentminded mathematician). The whole thing was
planned last minute, and (after he picked me up about 4 hours late) we
finally got to the trailhead in the middle of the afternoon. As we
were repacking our packs, we got distracted by some other hikers who
needed us to jump start their car. So we did. And then we left. We got
to the hut at about 7pm. Everything was going fine, we got our water
and started cooking. Then we realized we had no silverware. So we ate
our couscous with the pot lid and the handle and looked pretty
silly. Especialy since there were 4 or 5 thru-hikers there and I had
told them about my plans, I felt like I looked pretty
inexperienced. Then we went to lay out our sleeping bags and my friend
couldn't find his! He had left it behind in the car. But he had his
sleeping pad and a sweater and it was summer so it was ok. The next
day we had a nice hike and it made up for our forgetfulness, but it
definately was a memorable hike. I know i'll be checking my pack about
100 times before I head to Katahdin in June for my thru-hike :)

						-Martha Montague
						 ME -> GA '98