Re: [at-l] "Coban"

Ern & Anneke Grover wrote,

> I have come across a product made by 3M called "Coban".  It is normally
> used as a surgical wrap.  The roll I have in my little mitt is one inch
> wide.  It's remarkable stuff.  It's not sticky, extremely lightweight,
has
> an "elastic" nature, it adheres to itself, and it can be washed and
reused.

> Does anyone have any experience using this stuff?  I'd love to believe it
> could be used in place of moleskin, or as an emergency ace bandage.

Coban, and similar self-adherent wraps, have their place in the first aid
kit.  It comes in 2, 3, and 4 inch widths.  Use it to hold Spenco Second
Skin or similar blister products in place.  It can be used on toes, heels,
the ball of the foot, etc.  Be careful not to put it on too tight, since
constriction can cause problems.

Using Coban to wrap an ankle could cause problems because of its
constriction factor.  An Ace wrap, while constricting, does have 'give' to
it whereas Coban usually does not 'give' once it is wrapped.  Coban also
has a limited use once applied and removed.

I would not use it in place of moleskin.  As an emergency Ace wrap, sure. A
2 inch roll in your first aid kit in a good idea.  It can also be used as a
bandage wrap for emergencies.

John Vonhof
vonhof@pacbell.net
Author:  FIXING YOUR FEET: Preventive Maintenance and Treatments for Foot
Problems of Runners, Hikers, and Adventure Racers.
http://www.footworkpub.com (check out the book here)