Re: [at-l] Re: ATML Seriously, folks...

> ...you can find rotten boards from an old farm houses, apple
> trees, and a lot of other artifacts that will have your mind wondering what
> life must have been like on top of that mountain for this family.  I am sure
> that there are many other places along the trail that have semilar roots that
> I would be interested in, although I don't recall hearing about any other
> graves on the side of the trail.

Much of the area was "improved" during the Great Depression and New Deal
to remove mountaineers from the Applachians, forcably moving them to
foothill communities. Land was taken for a variety of projects, forests,
parks, parkways, and such. It was not exactly the "trail of tears" from
the 1830's, but some families would feel it had the same effect.

You will find farmlands reverting to nature, chimneys, poorly marked
graveyards, and similar historical debris - if you keep your eyes and
mind open. These are not likely to survive many more years, hence
recording them in a trail journal is a nice idea. Step softly, as the
hills have history and memories.

Bill Thorneloe
Atlanta, GA