[at-l] Re: ATML Seriously, folks...

In a message dated 98-02-13 23:08:21 EST, Snodrog5@aol.com writes:

<< I grew up in Maine, and started hiking in the Whites and Baxter in the 60s.
 My first knowledge of the AT came one summer in New Hampshire when my Dad
 explained to me what those 'beatniks' in the next campsite were up to. And I
 can remember clearly the first time the information on the sign on Baxter
Peak
 sunk in... >>

The history of the trail or land  also makes it so very interesting to me.  I
have only hiked very small portions of the trail in NC, TN.
There is a spot in Wingfoots neck of the woods that I was so impressed with.
The shelter just south of Hot Springs has a headstone and if you look around
enough in the area you can find rotten boards from an old farm houses, apple
trees, and a lot of other artifacts that will have your mind wondering what
life must have been like on top of that mountain for this family.  I am sure
that there are many other places along the trail that have semilar roots that
I would be interested in, although I don't recall hearing about any other
graves on the side of the trail.

Ryan
54 Days