[at-l] Warming it up- (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Meta wrote:
<	My problem is that I got a 20 degree TNF Cat's Meow bag for X-mas,
not really what I wanted (I begged for at least a 0 deg).  Anyway, to
spare feeling in a diff. situation, I am keeping the bag.  I took it out a
few weeks ago on a night that only got down to 14, but I was chilled.
Mainly just my legs (my feet warmed up after I put my socks back on :) )
Anyway, I was sleeping on a ridge-rest type pad, and was wondering if
anyone had suggestions for warming the bag up a few degrees.>

In addition to wearing socks, i would definitely recommend wearing a
tobogan type hat as well, and make sure it covers your ears. As any mom
will tell you, you lose a lot of heat via your head, so covering it up
should help immensely. Another suggestion is boiling a quart of water
before you go to sleep, putting it in a Nalgene (they retain heat very
well), and putting it in your bag before you go to sleep. I was usually
too tired (read: lazy) to do this, but on each occasion i did i swore i
would do it from then on. Finally, i know you can get liners for bags that
are supposed to cut down on the bag's rating. I'm not a big gear-head, so
i don't have any brand names to recommend, but i know they exist. A
cheaper alternative might be a 3/4 length fleece blanket. You can get them
for pretty cheap (i think mine was like 18$)and i would think this would
help as well. FWIW, i carried a 20 degree REI bag, slept in all my
clothes (and a tobogan), and survived some COLD nights in Maine, NH, and
NC just fine. It was not getting my bag sent back until Tyringham, MASS
that almost did me in <g>. HTH! HAND!

Walk with light,

Rambleon
(Jeremy Reiter)