Re: Re: [at-l] Sleepless on the Appalachian Trail

Thanks to all for the advice.

Writing, while a nice way to spend a few hours at the end of the day,
becomes problematic by candle lantern -  the eye strain annoys, and the
calligraphic results (by daylight) astonish.  But, I find I need 2 elbows for
this activity and unfortunately, my left one was damaged in a fall, (when
coming down Katahdin) in 1996.  It is o.k., but doesn't want to be propped
upon any more.

I have to watch for fatigue, and take care about my physical limits.  I tend
to push harder then my body's capacity, then start falling (see above).  So
hiking "until you drop" is not really a safe sleep solution.

The "better living through chemistry" solutions appeal, although, of course,
not
over too long a time.  And giving up my evening swiss mocha coffee, a blessing
on each trail day, will probably help.

I am heading south from Harper's Ferry on April 29 for 3 weeks, and,
about, 300 miles.

Thanks again,

Sandman