[at-l] Boots and "shoots"

I had occasion to be in VA earlier this week (finishing up work release
obligations). Knowing I would be near the Trail, I took my hiking boots
and ne'er before used snowshoes. The Skyline Drive was closed at Swift
Run Gap, so I parked and decided to take a little dayhike. As I was
putting on my boots, I realized that I had brought one of mine, and one
of my soon-to-be ex-wife's boots. "Shoot" I said. (Only, I said the less
family-friendly version of this word) One drawback of matching boots.
Fortunately, the bastard boot was for my non-surgery foot, and it fit
well enough to use. (Though, I ended up with blisters in places I've
never had blisters. The hike was worth it, too) I walked over to the
Trail and found it was packed hard enough that I wouldn't need the
snowshoes. "Shoot" I said again. (This time, I actually said the
family-friendly word)

And, I am now reminded of something from my last hike, way back in
September. I was hiking with 4 other listers  and a good friend of mine
from Bloomington, IN. We were near Waynesboro and had just entered the
park on the AT. My friend, "Stoat", was a bit in front of us. He met a
couple of dayhikers that were probably in their late 60's. The first
thing the woman said to Stoat was "Do you speak English?".  Does that
mean we are going to have to change the "Question T-shirt"

Anyone still there???
--
Felix

Now with FICTION!!! http://members.tripod.com/~Felixhikes/index.html