[at-l] breathable waterproof

Hey all,
    I'm making a bivy sack and I am thinking about fabric for the top.
The fine folks (?) at Gore industries tell me that Gore-Tex fabric is
not available to any person or company that is not certified by Gore
industries blah blah blah.....  Simpatex and Ultrex have been
reccomended to me.  I have a friend who made a jacket out of Ultrex and
has been very happy with it.  does any one have experience with either
of these fabrics?  Is there something else I should know about?

               Have a good one,
                                   Eric