Re: [at-l] Even More on "A Very Different Approach to Clothing"

> Have you tried out the system standing around instead of hiking?  I know
> you carry a poncho, but I'm curious as to how well the system works when
> one's body isn't working hard.  It seems to me that the system works by
> using your excess heat to evaporate water... basically you're trading
> conductive heat loss off against evaporative heat loss.  In other words,
> the reason you arn't madly overheating hiking in fleece is that you are
> using that heat to evaporate water.  If that analysis is right, then the
> system wouldn't work too well just standing around in the rain.... and
> you'd be very happy you brought that poncho!

I've never tried using this clothing while standing around for a long time.
It's really meant as raingear while actively hiking. It does keep me warm
and dry during brief rest breaks, though.
> Also, what would you do around camp?  Dive into the sleeping bag?  I know
> that one layer of fleece and a shell will NOT keep me comfortable in the
> freezing range, especially if the air is damp or if I'm tired or hungry.

You got it. If I get cold in camp, I dive right into my sleeping bag. I can
cook, chat, or whatever very comfortably from my sleeping bag. I once spent
an entire day snowbound in a shelter inside my sleeping bag and I was quite
comfortable and happy.

> By the way, I think you have a typo in your message.  I checked out
> Patagonia's site and their light weight version is called the "Zephur".

Actually that message slipped out of my computer by accident before I had
finished it. I just posted a corrected version of it to the mailing list.

Michael Connick

E-mail: Michael_Connick@clmt.com
Michael's Ultralight Backpacking Page:
    http://www.monmouth.com/~mconnick/