Re: [at-l] Even More on "A Very Different Approach to Clothing"

At 11:14 AM 2/9/98 PST, Michael Connick wrote:

>There appears to be two US manufacturers making Pertex-Pile clothing, or
>something very similar to it.
>
>1. Patagonia
>Patagonia makes what appears to be a copy of the European Pertex-Pile
>clothing made by Buffalo and other companies. It's a jacket called
>"Infurno" and costs $250. They also make a lighter weight version called
>the "Infurno".
>
>http://www.patagonia.com/

Thanks Michael,

Have you tried out the system standing around instead of hiking?  I know
you carry a poncho, but I'm curious as to how well the system works when
one's body isn't working hard.  It seems to me that the system works by
using your excess heat to evaporate water... basically you're trading
conductive heat loss off against evaporative heat loss.  In other words,
the reason you arn't madly overheating hiking in fleece is that you are
using that heat to evaporate water.  If that analysis is right, then the
system wouldn't work too well just standing around in the rain.... and
you'd be very happy you brought that poncho!

Also, what would you do around camp?  Dive into the sleeping bag?  I know
that one layer of fleece and a shell will NOT keep me comfortable in the
freezing range, especially if the air is damp or if I'm tired or hungry.

By the way, I think you have a typo in your message.  I checked out
Patagonia's site and their light weight version is called the "Zephur".

Thanks for sharing your research with us!

-- Jim