[at-l] Hiking Philosophy

I envy those who are about to start their trek north.  I would love to join
you, but my hiking philosophy is different from those of many of the people
on the list.  The journey is more import to me than the quest.  I would
rather hike only 5 miles while investigating every nook and cranny on the
trail.  At my hiking pace it would take me over 400 days to complete the
trip.

For me, hiking is almost a religious experience.  This seems strange to my
friends as I am a scientist and an anthiest.  The wilderness and wild areas
of the world contain mystres that we can just barely comprehend.  I would
rather explore and contemplate the mystres.  I am sure that some of you
will see me on the trail doing what I do a lot, sittting and thinking.  I
would recommend that you too spend a short time exploring.

Bob Dudley
Grey Owl
rdudley@fsi.net