Re: [at-l] Travelers Cheques

At 12:51 PM 2/5/98 EST, Slyinmd@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 98-02-05 07:57:18 EST, hikers@javanet.com writes:
>
><< Hi all,
> Travelers Cheques come highly recommended for a way of getting money on
> the trail. What are good denominations to get? You have to sign for each
> check at the bank and I wouldnt want to sign all twenties if I dont have
> to.  >>
>
>Travelers Checks are defineatly the way to go, in twentys and fiftys.  If you
>have someone sending you money (slush money, gifts etc.) along the trail, PO
>money orders work.  You can cash those at the PO you pick them up at.  Try to
>keep the denominations small as some of the smaller PO's don't always have
>that much money on hand.  Other than the PO's you may have difficulty.
Deb at
>Quinceys in Damascus told me she'd hang my yankee a--  if it bounced.   ; )
>
>Sly
>
>* From the Appalachian Trail Mailing List | For info
http://www.hack.net/lists *

Hi all,

I don't think Traveler's Cheques are the way to go.  I have had a hard time
getting people to accept them in some of the smaller stores.  My wife and I
used a VISA/Debit card this summer.  That way we could take out cash at an
ATM when we were in town to use and a little extra for any stores near the
Trail along the way.  And used it as a VISA whenever we could.  While ATM's
aren't prevalent in all towns, it wasn't a problem for us.

YMMV,

Jason
1/2 of "The Bramblebeaters, '97"
ME > GA '93-'97