Re: [at-l] REI Switchback

Dan Gould wrote:  I recently bought a very light

> coated nylon jacket as a replacement on the hypothesis that if it's
> really raining I'm going to get wet no matter what I'm wearing, so might
> as well save a pound or so. YMMV, of course.

me too  I was luckily frugal enough to stay away from Goretex but bit on
a Columbia breathable thing.  They say it breathes but not that I can tell.
I've pretty much given up on staying dry.  I'd rather spend the ounzes on
dry stuff to put on once I hit camp.  If it's warm I just hike in regular clothes.
A bit colder I go with a lite coated nylon as above.  If it sleet or snow,
I wear a n old fleece lined coated nylon parka that's super lite wt. and somewhat
water repellant.  I may get wet, but I'm warm.  And after a few bracing
minutes in the morning, I'm warm again. I understand Goretex works
better for some hikers.  YMMV          Kahley