Re: [Fwd: [at-l] Question for thru hikers]

Jennifer wrote:

>My 20 year old brother, Brian, plans to thru hike this year.  This has
>been a dream of his for quite sometime, and right now he is at a time of
>his life where he has a chance to follow this dream.  Although my whole
>family has always been active in outdoor activities, he has never even
>attempted anything like this before.  I am really worried about him,
>eventhough my mom seems to think that he is going to be prepared.  I was
>wondering if any of you have advice for him, or anything to lessen my
>worry.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jennifer Bolte

I am not a thru hiker, just a section hiker who hopes to finish the whole
thing before he gets too old.  I have notes on my experience on my web page,
http://members.aol.com/MarvWelte/index.html

I don't see this as being something that a healthy, somewhat fit, and focused
person cannot accomplish.  Your brother does need to be reasonably well
prepared, and there is a lot of material to help with that.  There are places
along the way where he can correct equipment errors, and he will get into
shape fairly fast.  On my web page I have some references to books that I
thought were good, and a bunch of links.

You can help your brother along.  Try to get over your worrying, real people
do this trek, and needless worry will detract from his pleasure of getting
ready.  Read some books/check some web sites and expand your knowledge and
comfort level.  Send him mail at mail drops he will be checking.  Spend a few
days on the trail with him.

He can help you.  Read and plan well to help reduce your worry.  Send you
letters and postcards every few days.  Call you when he reaches a phone.

Everyone here will help your brother, and you.  Keep reading, keep asking.