[at-l] Pine Grove Ruck

A wonderful time ... glad to see everyone and meet a bunch of new faces
from ATML (I presume, not having seen their names before). Relaxing
weekend, chance to unwind, get my mind off of some things, and meditate
about others next to an eerie green lake (ex-mine pit) surrounded by snow.
Wish I could be out on the trail this year, somewhat jealous of those who
can (yes, even you, Chase). Tom and Maria were great hosts, and their kids
were darling. Hope we can do this again next year, and I'll draw one year
closer to MY thru hike!

BTW, as I guessed, the iron ore mined at Pine Grove Furnace was brown
limonite, according to PA Geologic Survey circa 1941. I still don't have a
good answer on why the slag and mine pit water are green. No copper
minerals noted from this region. I'll ask around.

Libby - before you lose your Internet connection, get in touch! I forgot to
exchange #'s with you before I headed off on the Sunday hike!

Bummer about Trailplace. Let's not start flame wars again. The trail is for
everyone. It's time for Springer Fever and I really miss the excitement and
the countdowns we had on this list last year. Can someone out there
oblidge? I can use something to smile at when I come home from work.

Cheers, Sandy

GA->ME 2001  Visit my chunk of the outdoors:
http://www.nb.net/~downs/downsou.htm