[at-l] which direction to travel in VA

hi all -
have plans to hike about 5 - 6 weeks in VA in early April till about the
middle of May.  Have looked at the maps and it all looks pretty bumpy.  the
big question yet to be decided is which direction to travel.  other than up
and down.  would we run (actually i never run, but can do the walking part)
into any snow or very cold weather in the higher mts in the south?  or snow or
cold 500 miles further north in April?  Replies dont have to come with
guarantees.  any advice appreciated whether or not weather related.

this is probably my delurking for the year!  thanks to all.
short job