[at-l] Re: temp/alt?

At 12:01 AM -0500 1/25/98, hoochbuds@hotmail.com wrote:
>Robert and Catherine Rubin wrote:
>>
>> Can anybody tell me the number of degrees that the temperature drops for
>> every 1000 feet you ascend in the mountains? I know there's some formula.
>> Is it every 1000 feet? or a smaller figure?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --Rhymin' Worm

Hi Rhymin'

Next time you pass by that poison ivy and remember the rule of three.
I also think we can adapt it to your question. I think its 3 degree F per
1,000 ft
so if it's a pleasant 50 degrees at sea level hike up a 6,000 foot elevation
you'll be pooped and freezing your buns. Actually the windchill factor
and radiation factors ( bring that sun screen for the nose ) are also
very important.

At least I think it was around 3 or was that a tree hitting me
in the last trip up Vt and NH last week with all that blowdown and ice.

It's head-up with all that ice and broken branches falling. A real mess,
the trails in many areas were tree to fallen tree all over the place.

Looked like a bomb had hit several areas.

Tom 'hikenet' Caggiano